- Departments A-G
- Economic Development & Tourism
- Quick Facts / Demographics
Quick Facts / Demographics
Quality of Life
King George County offers a highly desirable and affordable lifestyle in a rural setting, with easy access to the Greater Fredericksburg, Greater Richmond, and Metro DC Areas and their wide variety of amenities. The county’s coastal plain location provides striking natural beauty. While the rivers, acres of natural landscape and historical resources of the county provide a range of recreational and cultural activities, King George County offers excellent public schools, affordable housing, a low crime rate and an exceptional quality of life.
- Acreage: 112,640
- Drainage: Potomac, Rappahannock
- Elevations: Sea level to 200 or more feet
- Physiography: Coastal plain
- Square miles: 183
- Topography: Flat to gently rolling
- Annual average rainfall 40 inches
- Annual average snowfall 16 inches
- Annual average temperature 56°
- Average summer temperature 74°
- Average winter temperature 38°
- 1990 13,527
- 2000 16,803
- 2010 23,584
- 2020 27,109
- 2030 29,997
- Median age 37 years
- Forests: The county has 73,000 acres of forest land. Most of the forests contain hardwoods: oak, hickory and southern yellow pine.
- Minerals: The sedimentary rocks of the coastal plain are overlain by a veneer of sand, clay, gravel and marl. Large deposits of sand and gravel, for commercial purposes and for road construction, underlie many areas of the county.
- Water: The flat-lying coastal plain has a large quantity of good quality artesian water in its unconsolidated sediments. As a result, the present water demand in King George County is supplied almost entirely by groundwater resources.