Book a Librarian
We offer one-on-one appointments with our librarians to assist with a variety of topics. Complete the Request Form and you will be contacted to arrange a session time.
Book a Meeting Room or Quiet Study
The library has several meeting rooms available for public use during regular hours of operation. Meeting and Quiet Study Rooms can be booked online. Meeting Rooms may be booked up to 24 hours in advance and Quiet Study Rooms may be booked up to 2 hours in advance. For more information, please contact the Reference Department at 540-775-2147 or by emailing Reference@smoot.org
In the event that you need an item that the Library does not own, you may request the item through the Interlibrary Loan Service. All items require a $3 charge to cover the shipping, except the periodicals which are $1. Some libraries may require additional charges. Please note that lending libraries may not honor requests for new items. If you have questions about ILLs, then please contact the Reference Department at 540-775-2147 or by emailing Reference@smoot.org In addition, you can use submit the online Interlibrary Loan Form.
We offer notary services free of charge for our library patrons. Services are provided by appointment only. Persons seeking notarizations must bring:
- Unsigned documents
- Yourself and/or anyone who signature needs to be notarized
- Valid photo identification (for all signers)
- Witnesses, if required. Patrons should provide their own witnesses. Library staff may substitute as witnesses, but their availability cannot be guaranteed. Library patrons may not be solicited to act as witnesses.
Notary publics at the Library will not:
- Notarize copies of any kind
- Notarize birth, marriage or death certificates
- Notarize real estate closing or refinance documents
- Perform marriages or any other act that constitutes the practice of law
- Prepare legal documents or give legal advice
- Post or pre-date a document
- Notarize documents in a language they do not understand
- Notarize documents requiring verification of facts
- Act as authorized representatives for employers to verify the employment eligibility of employees (I-9 forms)
- The Notary cannot give advice of instruction regarding documents or forms to be notarized.
Notaries will not provide service if the patron, document, or circumstances of the request raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty for the Library. Notaries may at his/her sole discretion decline to provide Notary Service.
We offer visits to your school, daycare or preschool and individualized storytimes at your location or at the Library. For more information, please contact the Youth Services Librarian at 540-775-2147 or by emailing YSL1@smoot.org
We are a Passport Acceptance Facility. Services are provided by appointment only. For more information, contact the Library at 540-775-2147 or visit U.S. Department of State.
Test proctoring services are available to King George County residents upon request and based upon the availability of staff. For more information, please contact the Library at 540-775-2147 or by emailing Reference@smoot.org
Wireless Internet Access is available within the Library for use. Printing is not available using the Library’s wireless connection. Electrical outlets for plugging in laptops and other devices are available throughout the library. If you are bringing your own laptop or other device and wish to use our Internet connection you will need:
- To agree to abide by the Library’s Internet Access Policy (PDF)
- A WiFi-compliant 802.11 b/g wireless Ethernet device installed on your device or WiFi capabilities
- Headphones if you plan to use audio files
- Library patrons should use Patron WiFi and use the key: kinggeorge